How many types of crab apples are there?
Category: hobbies and interests beekeeping
Likewise, people ask, what are the different types of crabapple trees?
Popular Crabapple Varieties
- Golden Hornet – This is an upright variety that produces white to pale pink blooms followed by greenish-yellow fruit.
- Snowdrift – This rounded form produces pink buds that bloom white.
- Sugar Tyme – Having an oval-like shape, this crabapple tree has pink flowers with deep red crabapple fruit.
Simply so, what kind of crab apples are edible?
Edible Crab Apple Varieties
- Centennial Crab apple produces high quality fruit that is delicious fresh off the tree.
- Chestnut Crabapple is frequently used as a pollinator for other apples.
- Dolgo aka Dalgo crab apple serves well as an ornamental and edible fruit producing tree.
How to Identify a Crabapple Tree:
- They have oval leaves that come to a point.
- Leaves are light green in the spring, darker green in the summer, and turn a yellowish-orange or reddish-purple in the fall.
- The edge of the leaves are serrated.
- The backsides of younger leaves are hairy.
- The leaves and fruit form in clusters.