How many types of crab apples are there?
Likewise, people ask, what are the different types of crabapple trees?
Popular Crabapple Varieties
- Golden Hornet – This is an upright variety that produces white to pale pink blooms followed by greenish-yellow fruit.
- Snowdrift – This rounded form produces pink buds that bloom white.
- Sugar Tyme – Having an oval-like shape, this crabapple tree has pink flowers with deep red crabapple fruit.
Additionally, what is the best crabapple tree? The upright oval to vase shape of Harvest Gold crabapple makes the tree a good small shade tree as well as a flowering and fruiting ornamental. It has good resistance to all four major crabapple diseases—fire blight, apple scab, powdery mildew, and cedar-apple rust.
Simply so, what kind of crab apples are edible?
Edible Crab Apple Varieties
- Centennial Crab apple produces high quality fruit that is delicious fresh off the tree.
- Chestnut Crabapple is frequently used as a pollinator for other apples.
- Dolgo aka Dalgo crab apple serves well as an ornamental and edible fruit producing tree.
How do you identify a crab apple?
How to Identify a Crabapple Tree:
- They have oval leaves that come to a point.
- Leaves are light green in the spring, darker green in the summer, and turn a yellowish-orange or reddish-purple in the fall.
- The edge of the leaves are serrated.
- The backsides of younger leaves are hairy.
- The leaves and fruit form in clusters.