What organism causes paralytic shellfish poisoning?

Asked By: Titina Blandon | Last Updated: 1st July, 2020
Category: food and drink food allergies
4.6/5 (38 Views . 40 Votes)
Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is a serious illness caused by eating shellfish contaminated with dinoflagellate algae that produce harmful toxins. Some of these toxins are 1,000 times more potent than cyanide, and toxin levels contained in a single shellfish can be fatal to humans.

Click to see full answer

Thereof, what toxin causes paralytic shellfish poisoning?

Paralytic shellfish poisoning is a foodborne illness that typically develops after consumption of shellfish contaminated with saxitoxin. During blooms of toxic algae, especially dinoflagellates of the genera Alexandrium, feeding molluscan bivalves and other shellfish concentrate the toxin and are unsafe to consume.

Likewise, which of the following toxins is responsible for paralytic shellfish poisoning in humans? The principal toxin responsible for PSP is saxitoxin. Some shellfish can store this toxin for several weeks after a harmful algal bloom passes, but others, such as butter clams, are known to store the toxin for up to two years. Additional toxins are found, such as neosaxitoxin and gonyautoxins I to IV.

One may also ask, what is another name for the paralytic shellfish toxins?

Paralytic Shellfish Poison (PSP) is a naturally occurring marine biotoxin that is produced by some species of microscopic algae. Shellfish eat these algae and can retain the toxin.

What causes PSP in shellfish?

Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) PSP is an illness that may have serious and potentially fatal effects. It is caused by eating bivalve shellfish and other molluscan shellfish that have been contaminated by toxins produced by certain species of microscopic marine algae found in coastal waters.

30 Related Question Answers Found

How long does paralytic shellfish poisoning last?

Within 2-12 hours, in very severe cases, there is complete paralysis and death from respiratory failure in absence of ventilatory support. After 12 hours, regardless of severity, victims start to recover gradually and are without any residual symptoms within a few days (Bower et al, 1981, ILO 1984, Halstead 1988).

How is paralytic shellfish poisoning prevented?

Prevention. Travelers can take the following precautions to prevent ciguatera fish poisoning: Avoid or limit consumption of reef fish. Never eat high-risk fish such as barracuda or moray eel.

How long does Shellfish poisoning last?

The symptoms of scombroid poisoning usually last for 24 hours or less. The symptoms can come back any time you eat fish that has not been refrigerated properly. Ciguatera and scombroid poisoning are rarely fatal.

What is shellfish toxin?

Shellfish poisoning is a general term used to indicate poisoning that occurs when shellfish (mainly oysters, clams, scallops or mussels) are eaten by humans. Shellfish are usually associated with saltwater habitats, but some species inhabit freshwater. Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP)

What is biotoxin poisoning?

Amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP) is an illness caused by consumption of the marine biotoxin called domoic acid. In mammals, including humans, domoic acid acts as a neurotoxin, causing permanent short-term memory loss, brain damage, and death in severe cases.

Can clams be poisonous?

If humans, or other warm-blooded animals, eat contaminated clams, the stored toxin can affect the gastrointestinal and neurological systems. There are two types of biological toxins that west coast razor clams and other bivalves can be contaminated with, domoic acid (DA) and paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP).

Can saxitoxin kill you?

The paralysis of respiratory muscles is fatal within a few minutes (Runnegar et al., 1988). Saxitoxins are toxic both by ingestion and by inhalation, and they could be dispersed as aerosols and inhaled, and so lead to rapid respiratory collapse and death.

What species are affected by paralytic shellfish poisoning?

Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) is caused by a toxin, saxitoxin, produced by algae belonging to the genus Alexandrium. Affected species include mussels, clams, crabs, oysters, scallops, herring, sardines, marine mammals, and birds. Humans are exposed by eating contaminated shellfish.

How does saxitoxin cause paralysis?

Saxitoxin, like CTX and tetrodotoxin, causes paralysis by blocking sodium channels in nerve cell membranes. It is 50 times more potent than curare. Saxitoxin and other toxins that cause PSP are heat stable and are not destroyed by normal cooking procedures, marinating, or freezing.

What do shellfish eat?

Most shellfish are low on the food chain and eat a diet composed primarily of phytoplankton and zooplankton. Many varieties of shellfish, and crustaceans in particular, are actually closely related to insects and arachnids; crustaceans make up one of the main subphyla of the phylum Arthropoda.

What causes domoic acid?

Domoic acid (DA) is a kainic acid-type neurotoxin that causes amnesic shellfish poisoning (ASP). It is produced by algae and accumulates in shellfish, sardines, and anchovies. When sea lions, otters, cetaceans, humans, and other predators eat contaminated animals, poisoning may result.

What is red tide poisoning?

A "red tide" is a common term used for a harmful algal bloom. One of the best known HABs in the nation occurs nearly every summer along Florida's Gulf Coast. This bloom, like many HABs, is caused by microscopic algae that produce toxins that kill fish and make shellfish dangerous to eat.

Is shrimp a shellfish?

Marine animals in the shellfish category include crustaceans and mollusks, such as shrimp, crab, lobster, squid, oysters, scallops and others.

How do you treat red tide poisoning?

There's no known antidote for conditions caused by red tide, such as PSP. Severe cases may be treated with the use of life support systems, such as a mechanical respirator and oxygen until the toxin fully passes through your system.

How can I avoid my PSP?

To avoid Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning, members of the public are advised to observe the following:
  1. Buy shellfish from reliable and licensed seafood shops;
  2. Remove the viscera, gonads and roe before cooking;
  3. Eat a smaller amount of shellfish in any one meal and avoid consuming the cooking liquid;

Why do symptoms of ASP and PSP arise quickly?

Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP) PSP is caused by dinoflagellates of the genus Alexandrium. Symptoms develop fairly rapidly, within 30 minutes to 2 hours after eating the shellfish, depending on the amount of toxin consumed. There is no known antidote to PSP toxins.

What causes red tide?

Red tide is a phenomenon caused by algal blooms (Wikipedia definition) during which algae become so numerous that they discolor coastal waters (hence the name "red tide"). The algal bloom may also deplete oxygen in the waters and/or release toxins that may cause illness in humans and other animals.