What is laryngitis caused by?
Click to see full answer
Simply so, how do you heal laryngitis?
Some self-care methods and home treatments may relieve the symptoms of laryngitis and reduce strain on your voice:
- Breathe moist air.
- Rest your voice as much as possible.
- Drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration (avoid alcohol and caffeine).
- Moisten your throat.
- Avoid decongestants.
- Avoid whispering.
Additionally, how do you know if laryngitis is bacterial or viral? When the larynx and vocal cords are swollen and inflamed, the result is usually hoarseness or loss of voice. Laryngitis that develops over a short period of time is typically caused by a viral infection, but it can be part of a bacterial infection.
Accordingly, how long does it take for laryngitis to go away?
Laryngitis is self-limiting and should last for only a few days, and symptoms should resolve within 7 days, but can linger up to two weeks. If symptoms persist longer than three weeks, this is considered chronic laryngitis and causes other than a viral infection need to be explored.
How can you prevent laryngitis?
- Don't smoke, and avoid secondhand smoke. Smoke dries your throat and irritates your vocal cords.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid eating spicy foods.
- Include whole grains, fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid clearing your throat.
- Avoid upper respiratory infections.