How dangerous are mercury light bulbs?

Asked By: Diakaridia Truve | Last Updated: 29th April, 2020
Category: style and fashion natural and organic beauty
4.7/5 (36 Views . 41 Votes)
Mercury is essential to a fluorescent bulb's ability to emit light; no other element has proved as efficient. As effective as it is at enabling white light, however, mercury—sometimes called quicksilver—is also highly toxic. It is especially harmful to the brains of both fetuses and children.

Click to see full answer


Moreover, can you get mercury poisoning from a broken light bulb?

If you break a mercury thermometer or light bulb, a small amount of liquid mercury may spill out. The mercury may also evaporate into vapour. However, this small amount of mercury is extremely unlikely to cause problems for your health.

Additionally, is breaking a light bulb dangerous? This makes them breakable, and when they do break, they are more dangerous than incandescents. The risk depends on what type of bulb you are dealing with. Compact fluorescent lights contain a small amount of mercury, which can be toxic if it enters your body (see References 1).

Keeping this in consideration, are mercury bulbs dangerous?

Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) use dramatically less energy than incandescent bulbs and reduce greenhouse gas emissions. But they also contain mercury – a dangerous toxin. The amount of mercury in a CFL is very small, only 4-5 milligrams.

How much mercury is in a light bulb?

An average of 4 milligrams (mg) of mercury is in a CFL. A mercury thermometer may contain about 500 mg of mercury. About 500 mg to 700 mg or less of mercury is considered a small spill. Some CFLs may contain as little as 1.4 mg to 2.5 mg per light bulb.

32 Related Question Answers Found

How do you clean up a broken mercury light bulb?

Collect the following materials to clean up the broken bulb: Stiff paper or cardboard, sticky tape, damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces) and an airtight container, such as a glass jar with a metal lid or a resealable plastic bag.

What do you do if a mercury light bulb breaks?

How to clean up a broken CFL bulb
  1. Step one: Air out the area. As soon as that bulb breaks, you'll want to let the room air out for about 15 minutes.
  2. Step two: Find a sealable container.
  3. Step three: Pick up the pieces.
  4. Step four: Wipe the floor clean.
  5. Step five: Let the room air out for another few hours.
  6. Step six: Dispose of the broken bulb.

Does mercury vapor go away?

Outdoors, mercury vapors tend to go away quickly, but indoors (particularly with windows closed), mercury vapors will accumulate in the air. People can absorb metallic mercury into their bodies when they breathe the vapors.

How do you know if you have mercury in your body?

These symptoms may vary depending on a person's age and exposure levels. Adults with mercury poisoning may experience symptoms such as: muscle weakness. metallic taste in the mouth.

Can breaking a light bulb kill you?


I agree, a light bulb is unlikely to do you any harm. It is recommended that you leave a room for 5 minutes if you break an energy saving bulb, while the mercury in the air disperses. Although I doubt not doing so is likely to cause serious problems.

What does mercury vapor smell like?

Mercury is a shiny, silvery liquid metal that can cause serious health problems. Liquid mercury vaporizes (evaporates) at room temperature causing elevated levels of mercury in indoor air. Mercury vapor is not irritating and has no odor, so people do not know when they are breathing it.

What form of mercury is in light bulbs?

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL) ??Compact fluorescent light bulbs(CFLs) save more energy and last up to 10 times longer than regular light bulbs. Since CFLs contain a small amount of mercury, which can be hazardous to one's health if ingested or inhaled, it is important to handle and dispose of CFLs correctly.

How long does mercury vapor stay in the air?

Summary: Once broken, a compact fluorescent light bulb continuously releases mercury vapor into the air for weeks to months, and the total amount can exceed safe human exposure levels in a poorly ventilated room, according to a new study.

What is the safest light bulb to use?

The safest type of light bulbs for overall health are simple incandescent bulbs. Although they are less efficient than their counterparts the LED and CFL light bulbs, emit far less blue light and produce less dirty electricity.

Is there mercury in LED light bulbs?


LED lights do not contain even the slightest trace of mercury, which makes them the safest alternative when it comes to lighting an office or home. Some of the following light bulbs do contain mercury, and special care should be taken when handling them.

What if I vacuumed up a broken CFL?

* If you already vacuumed a broken CFL: For a recent break (within a couple of days of the break): Air out the house for up to several hours to get rid of any remaining mercury vapor and change your vacuum cleaner bag or wipe out the dust cup.

What happens if you break an LED light bulb?

If an LED lightbulb breaks in your home or workplace: Put on protective gloves and sweep up the LED pieces into a plastic bag using a stiff piece of cardboard (if you use a broom, consider disposing of the broom after using it). Next, use sticky tape to pick up any small fragments left over.

What does mercury poisoning do to the brain?

The brains of children who have died as a result of mercury poisoning show neuron loss in the cerebellum and throughout the cerebral cortex. Mercury also appears to affect brain development by preventing neurons from finding their appropriate place in the brain.

Do incandescent bulbs have mercury?

An incandescent bulb doesn't contain mercury, but it still has a higher overall mercury footprint than a CFL, thanks to the coiled tube's energy efficiency. Coal-fired power plants are humans' No. 1 source of mercury pollution, and energy-intensive incandescents make those plants burn more coal than CFLs do.

How much mercury is toxic?


Mild, subclinical signs of central nervous system toxicity can be seen in workers exposed to an elemental mercury level in the air of 20 μg/m3 or more for several years. Kidney effects have been reported, ranging from increased protein in the urine to kidney failure.

Where is the mercury in light bulbs?

Mercury, an essential part of CFLs, allows a bulb to be an efficient light source. On average, CFLs contain about four milligrams of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. By comparison, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury – an amount equal to the mercury in over 100 CFLs.

Are energy saving light bulbs poisonous?

Energy Saving Light Bulbs Are Poisonous To the Brain, Nervous System, Liver, Kidneys and Heart. A study carried out by scientists from Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klaudic Institute has shown that these light bulbs, if they break indoors, they emit 20 times more mercury than the maximum allowed.