Can you use cement in a forge?
Also asked, can you use concrete for a forge?
Concrete is a big NO! Concrete will contain trapped water and will explode when it gets hot enough. But, you said you have refractory on hand - if you have refractory cement then just use that.
Besides, how do you make refractory cement for a forge?
Refractory Cement Recipe #3
- Mix Perlite and Fire cement using the above measurements.
- Allow it to try for several days at room temperature. (68Â°F -72Â°F)
- Bake at 250Â°F for several hours until no steam or smoke is coming out of it. Allow it to cool completely.
- Repeat at a slightly higher temperature.
- Place your sheet of plywood in the work area or the wheelbarrow.
- Portion the materials into a 3:2:2:0.5 ratio so you have 3 parts gravel, 2 parts sand, 2 parts refractory cement and 0.5 parts of the hydrated lime.
- Place the gravel and sand into the wheelbarrow or onto the plywood.