Can eating mussels cause diarrhea?

Asked By: Lolita Sommerhoff | Last Updated: 25th April, 2020
Category: food and drink food allergies
4.3/5 (1,448 Views . 39 Votes)
After eating contaminated clams or mussels, you will most likely experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms will be followed soon after by strange sensations that may include numbness or tingling in your mouth, headache, dizziness, and hot and cold temperature reversal.

Click to see full answer


Accordingly, why do mussels give me diarrhea?

Diarrhea is caused by ingestion of filter-feeding bivalve mollusks, such as mussels and scallops, contaminated with okadaic acid produced by certain dinoflagellates, a type of algae. Vomiting may be present, and symptoms resolve within 3 days.

Additionally, why do I get diarrhea after eating seafood? Diarrhetic (or diarrheal) shellfish poisoning occurs from ingesting shellfish (such as mussels, cockles, scallops, oysters and whelks) that contain toxins. These toxins cause gastroenteritis symptoms, such as watery diarrhea. Shellfish harvested in BC coastal waters can sometimes be contaminated with this toxin.

In respect to this, can mussels upset your stomach?

It has been known for a long time that consumption of mussels and other bivalve shellfish can cause poisoning in humans, with symptoms ranging from diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting to neurotoxicological effects, including paralysis and even death in extreme cases.

How long after eating bad mussels do you get sick?

Shellfish Poisoning Symptoms Symptoms of shellfish poisoning begin 4-48 hours after eating and include: Nausea. Vomiting.

35 Related Question Answers Found

What does it mean when you poop liquid out?

They occur when you pass liquid instead of formed stool. Liquid bowel movements are usually caused by a short-term illness, such as food poisoning or a virus. Because liquid stool can result in excess water losses from the body, it's important drink more water when you have diarrhea to prevent severe side effects.

What happens when you eat a bad mussel?

After eating contaminated clams or mussels, you will most likely experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. These symptoms will be followed soon after by strange sensations that may include numbness or tingling in your mouth, headache, dizziness, and hot and cold temperature reversal.

Can I eat mussels everyday?

Regularly eating shellfish — especially oysters, clams, mussels, lobster, and crab — may improve your zinc status and overall immune function. They are also rich in nutrients — omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, and zinc — that promote a healthy brain, heart, and immune system.

Can you get sick from cooked mussels?

Even if your mussels are packed with E coli or norovirus, if they are well cooked no harm will come to you; they are all destroyed. While this does not solve the problem of algal toxins, these are seldom a problem and cooked shellfish are nearly always safe.

What are the benefits of eating mussels?


Mussels are one of the most well-rounded foods to include in your diet, high in zinc, iron and other minerals, vitamins A and B12. A fantastic source of protein, low in calories and low in fat.

Can you get food poisoning from scampi?

It is very rare for somebody to die of toxic shock syndrome. "The cause of that syndrome can only be circumstantial evidence of food poisoning. "I think it is very tenuous to link the cause of death to the scampi meal."

How do mussels filter feed?

Feeding. Both marine and freshwater mussels are filter feeders; they feed on plankton and other microscopic sea creatures which are free-floating in seawater. A mussel draws water in through its incurrent siphon. The wastewater exits through the excurrent siphon.

How long does norovirus last?

one to three days

What causes diarrhea after you eat?

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): The two forms of IBD—Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis—can both cause the symptom of diarrhea after eating. Dumping syndrome is also known as rapid gastric emptying because the contents of the stomach empty too quickly into the small intestine.

How do I know if I'm allergic to mussels?


Symptoms of a shellfish allergy may include:
  1. tingling in the mouth.
  2. abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting.
  3. congestion, trouble breathing, or wheezing.
  4. skin reactions including itching, hives, or eczema.
  5. swelling of the face, lips, tongue, throat, ears, fingers, or hands.
  6. lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.

How quickly does food poisoning kick in?

Symptoms from the most common types of food poisoning will often start within 2 to 6 hours of eating the food. That time may be longer or shorter, depending on the cause of the food poisoning. Possible symptoms include: Abdominal cramps.

Can you be allergic to only mussels?

About 60 percent of people with shellfish allergy experience their first allergic reaction as adults. There are two groups of shellfish: crustacea (such as shrimp, crab and lobster) and mollusks (such as clams, mussels, oysters and scallops). Crustacea cause most shellfish reactions, and these tend to be severe.

How much is a serving of mussels?

The Tourism PEI website says that one pound of mussels is approximately 20-25 mussels. This is about one cup (4 oz) of meat. As a general estimate, one pound of mussels can serve one person for a main meal or two people as an appetizer.

How do you cook mussels?

Place the whole tightly closed mussels into a large pan. Add a splash of water. Cover with a lid and then bring up to the boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stir the mussels and check to see if the shells have opened.

Are mussels salty?


Remember that mussels are very salty so you won't need to add any extra sea salt.

Why does fish make me sick?

Scombroid Fish Poisoning
Eating fish may also cause you to become sick with scombroid, which is caused by eating fish that hasn't been refrigerated or preserved properly. When fish have naturally high levels of the amino acid histidine, bacteria turn that amino acid into histamine when it's not properly stored.

Can fresh mussels be frozen?

Fresh mussels are best if used as soon as possible; keep them for no more than 1 day. To freeze, place live mussels in a zippered plastic freezer bag and store for no more than 3 months. Defrost frozen mussels slowly in the refrigerator before cooking.