What is a deviation card?
Click to see full answer
Similarly, what is ship deviation?
Deviation is the error in reading a bearing from the compass caused by the magnetic influence of some nearby object, such as a metal post or an engine. In the case of boats it may even be due to the materials from which the boat is constructed.
Secondly, what is deviation curve? You can plot a graph of the effect of change in boat heading on the Deviation, this is called a Deviation Curve. Deviation can be measured by 'swinging the compass', that is, checking the compass reading when the boat is on a known heading, round a 360° series of headings, and plotting the resultant errors.
Likewise, people ask, what causes compass deviation?
In navigation manuals, magnetic deviation often refers specifically to compass error caused by magnetized iron within a ship or aircraft. This iron has a mixture of permanent magnetization and an induced (temporary) magnetization that is induced by the Earth's magnetic field.
How do you make a deviation table?
Five Easy Steps to Make a Sailboat Deviation Table
- Turn on standard equipment.
- Find your boat's deviation-free zone.
- Steer your Steering Compass- tracklines.
- Find the deviation.
- How to Use Your Deviation Table.
- Plot the trackline from starting point to destination.
- Enter the table and look under the Boat Heading column.
- Read the deviation in the second column.