Is Miracle Grow toxic to humans?

Asked By: Iliasse Fiore | Last Updated: 25th January, 2020
Category: home and garden landscaping
4.1/5 (6,049 Views . 27 Votes)
Miracle-Gro contains urea, which can irritate the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach. Swallowing it can cause nausea and vomiting. According to the Manufacturer's Safety Data Sheet for Miracle-Gro, if you accidentally swallow the product, immediately rinse the mouth out with water.

Click to see full answer


Furthermore, is Miracle Grow safe to eat?

Full of essential nutrients, Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food instantly feeds vegetables, trees, shrubs, and houseplants to grow bigger and more beautiful than unfed plants. Simply feed them every 1-2 weeks. The formula is safe for all plants, and is guaranteed not to burn when used as directed.

Also, is fertilizer harmful to humans? Plant fertilizers can poison people and pets if they are inhaled or accidentally ingested. Touching the fertilizer may cause skin irritation, and ingesting it may be poisonous. Nitrogen is essential for plant growth, but it can be very dangerous when present at high levels in humans.

Also know, what happens if you use too much Miracle Gro?

Over fertilization can be a serious gardening problem. Properly applied, Miracle-Gro and other fertilizers give plants the nutrients they need to thrive However, too much of anything -- including fertilizer -- can cause problems in the garden.

Can plant food kill you?

Seriously, plant fertilizer is poisonous to humans and pets. “If you believe you have been poisoned by plant food, you should call the National Poison Control Centers hotline immediately. The emergency number is (800) 222-1222.

37 Related Question Answers Found

Why Miracle Grow is bad?

Miracle-Gro is a synthetic fertilizer that contains ammonium phosphate and several other chemicals that can be toxic to your soil and plants. D., says in his book Fertile Soil: "[Ammonium fertilizer] acidifies the soil, and thus it is probably more harmful to soil organisms than any other nitrogen fertilizer . . . .

Can you eat vegetables with Miracle Grow?

Scott's Miracle-Gro potting soil is safe for vegetables. Miracle-Gro potting mix contains nontoxic amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium for fertilizer and is recommended for container vegetables at the manufacturer's own website. All plants need these three basic nutrients for healthy growth.

What is Miracle Grow made out of?

'Miracle-Gro' is a 15-30-15 fertilizer, meaning that that the powder within contains 15 percent nitrogen, 30 percent phosphorous, and 15 percent potassium. Nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium are the three main nutrients needed by plants, the ones plants gobble up in greatest quantity.

Can you spray miracle grow on plant leaves?

Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food is one of several fertilizer brands on the market. All-purpose plant food is recommended for use in liquid form on the foliage of outdoor flowers, vegetables, shrubs and trees. Never put dry fertilizer on leaves. It will burn them.

Is Miracle Gro all natural?


To them, organic or inorganic fertilizer is all the same, and both types of products have been found to be effective. To answer the question, “Is Miracle Gro organic?” simply: yes and no. Nature's Care Organic & Natural Vegetable, Fruit & Flower Food, 3 lb.

Can potting soil catch on fire?

Garden Tips: Potting soil can be a fire hazard. They do not think of dry potting mixes as being flammable. If they are not dedicated gardeners, they probably do not realize that “potting soils” are actually mixes of numerous flammable materials, such as peat moss, wood fiber, coconut fiber, chopped bark or compost.

Is it OK to use Miracle Grow on tomatoes?

Miracle-Gro Water Soluble Tomato Plant Food instantly feeds to grow bigger, more bountiful tomatoes and vegetables compared to unfed plants. Use our plant food with the Miracle-Gro Garden Feeder or any watering can, and feed every 1-2 weeks. Safe for all plants when used as directed.

When should I start using Miracle Grow?

So, a month after planting, begin feeding your garden with plant food like Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food.

How do you fix too much Miracle Grow?

If you put too much Miracle-Gro in a potted or container plant, you can pour a lot water into the pot until the water flows out the bottom of the pot and keep adding water for a few more minutes. This will flush the excess Miracle- Gro out of the pot. After this, in the future, you will just water the plant normally.

What helps plants grow faster?


A good workable soil will provide the plant with adequate water, air and nutrients. If your soil is too sandy or too hard, add soil mixes to the soil to help the plant grow faster. Some good things to add include manure, grass clippings and compost.

Which fertilizer has highest nitrogen?

The nitrogen fertilizer with the highest percentage of nitrogen is urea.

Why is Miracle Gro Blue?

I have some Miracle Gro on hand, the water soluble kind: The blue stuff is copper sulfate, or CuSO4. In short, it is included in these formulations because plants need copper for biosynthesis; and because it acts as a fungicide, presumably leading to a nicer ecosystem in one's lawn/garden.

How often should I feed my flowering plants?

Start fertilizing your container plants twice a week. Fertilize your houseplants once a week. Feed the plants in your garden every two to three weeks. Fertilize your landscape plants once a month.

Can you over fertilize plants?


Over fertilization can actually decrease growth and leave plants weak and vulnerable to pests and diseases. Over fertilized plants may also exhibit yellowing of the leaves. Salt buildup, which accumulates on top of the soil, can also be a result of too much fertilizer, making it harder for plants to take up water.

How much Miracle Grow do I use?

For most plants, you should mix 1 tablespoon of Miracle-Gro with 1 gallon of water in a watering can. According to Scotts, exact measurements are not critical, so using a little less or a little more is not a concern. This amount of solution will feed 10 square feet of flowering plants or vegetables.

Can you over fertilize a tree?

The Effects of Excessive Fertilization on Trees
You can actually kill a tree if you apply too much fertilizer. And if the fertilizer contains too much potassium and phosphorus, it creates excessive soil salts that trees may be unable to tolerate.