How do you find a ceiling stud in a popcorn ceiling?
- Access the ceiling by standing on a ladder.
- Press a thin piece of cardboard against the ceiling area where you would like to find the joist.
- Press the stud finder onto the left side of the cardboard.
- Activate the device's deep scanning option.
Accordingly, how do I find a stud in my ceiling?
Hold a stud finder up to the ceiling a few inches from the wall and calibrate it according to the manufacturer's instructions. Measure 16 inches in from the wall with a measuring tape. Run the stud finder over the ceiling in that area. When it lights up, it has reached the edge of a joist.
Secondly, do ceiling joists line up with wall studs? If you use stack framing for your trusses and wall studs, then it helps a lot to use the same spacing on your floor joists, so your wall studs can line up exactly with the floor joists. You can probably find in somewhere in the code that you can use 16, 19.2 (you said 19-6)or 24 inch spacing legally.
Keeping this in consideration, how do you hang something from a popcorn ceiling?
- Dampen a cloth or paper towel with all-purpose cleanser.
- Climb up the ladder and wipe down the approximate spot on the ceiling where you'd like to hang the item.
- Climb back up the ladder and attach a non-damaging adhesive hook to the textured ceiling or a suction cup with hook, designed for ceiling uses.
How much weight can a ceiling joist hold?
Fine Homebuilding notes that 2-inch by 6-inch garage joists will support a weight of up to 50 pounds per square foot. If you overload your garage's ceiling joists, the ceiling may appear to sag from the strain. While your 2-inch by 6-inch joists can collapse from too much weight, such a scenario is uncommon.