How do you find a ceiling stud in a popcorn ceiling?
- Access the ceiling by standing on a ladder.
- Press a thin piece of cardboard against the ceiling area where you would like to find the joist.
- Press the stud finder onto the left side of the cardboard.
- Activate the device's deep scanning option.
Accordingly, how do I find a stud in my ceiling?
Hold a stud finder up to the ceiling a few inches from the wall and calibrate it according to the manufacturer's instructions. Measure 16 inches in from the wall with a measuring tape. Run the stud finder over the ceiling in that area. When it lights up, it has reached the edge of a joist.
Keeping this in consideration, how do you hang something from a popcorn ceiling?
- Dampen a cloth or paper towel with all-purpose cleanser.
- Climb up the ladder and wipe down the approximate spot on the ceiling where you'd like to hang the item.
- Climb back up the ladder and attach a non-damaging adhesive hook to the textured ceiling or a suction cup with hook, designed for ceiling uses.
Fine Homebuilding notes that 2-inch by 6-inch garage joists will support a weight of up to 50 pounds per square foot. If you overload your garage's ceiling joists, the ceiling may appear to sag from the strain. While your 2-inch by 6-inch joists can collapse from too much weight, such a scenario is uncommon.