What size bolt cutter Do I need to cut a padlock?
- Compact size bolt cutters: The compact bolt cutters are smaller in size and are generally 8 inches to 14 inches long.
- Medium size bolt cutter: The medium size bolt cutters are 18 inches to 24 inches long.
Similarly, it is asked, what size bolt cutters do I need to cut a Master Lock?
Most domestic keyed and master locks for home, gym, school lockers and so on are medium security with shackles of up to ¼ inch diameter. A typical 24 inch bolt cutter has a jaw capacity of 5/16 inch and this should suffice for a standard padlock. To be on the safe side, consider the 24-36 inch range of bolt cutters.
Likewise, what's the best tool for cutting off a padlock? Bolt cutters are one of the most effective and popular ways to cut through a lock. Essentially, bolt cutters are just a bit pair of scissors that are equipped with a fulcrum joint which allows them to transfer much more power to the blades, allowing you to cut through thick metals.
Also to know is, how do you cut a padlock with bolt cutters?
Hold the bolt cutters in a comfortable position near your waist. Pull the handles apart so the blades open. Place the bolt cutters on one side of the shackle close to the body of the lock. If the lock isn't attached to anything, secure it in locking pliers or a vise so it doesn't move around when you try cutting it.
How do you cut a padlock off?
How to Cut Through a Padlock
- Buy a bolt cutter from a hardware store, or borrow one.
- Grab the padlock and face the front of the padlock toward you.
- Position the bolt cutter on the right side of the U-shaped lock on the padlock (it's the left side of the lock that rotates).