What happens if a nail hits a wire?
Click to see full answer
Similarly, what happens if you screw into a wire?
If you hit the hot wire and the drill is completely metallic to your hand and you have a path to ground (maybe you are standing in water, or barefoot on a metal floor, or your other hand is resting on a grounded refrigerator) you might get a nasty shock, but still probably not enough to kill you.
Also, can a cut wire cause a fire? If by 'cable wire' you mean Coax cable for the TV, or Internet, then the answer is no. That is why fuses and/or circuit breakers should always be included in any electrical service wiring to cut off the supply of current before a fire can be caused by such damage.
Secondly, what do you do if you nick a wire?
If the cable is inside a wall and sheath has been nicked then carefully wrap the outside with electrical tape is OK.
Avoid Potential Fire Hazard and Future Problems from Damaged Electrical Wires
- The cable will need to be cut.
- Place the cable into an approved accessible junction box.
How do you tell if there is wiring behind a wall?
How to Know if There Is Electrical Behind a Wall When Hanging Shelves
- Place the stud finder with wire tracing mode onto the wall.
- Move the finder along the wall, front towards you and the flat side against the wall.
- Move the stud finder over the electrical wires.