How do you ferment sauerkraut in a crock?
In this regard, how long does it take to ferment sauerkraut in a crock?
around 20 days
Also, how do you sterilize fermentation in crock? Cleaning Your Fermenting Stones/Crock
- Scrub the mould off as much as you can.
- Put the stones in a pot with a few tablespoons of vinegar and hot water or fill the crock with vinegar and hot water (not boiling).
- Leave overnight.
- Rinse the stones/crock.
Hereof, how do you use sauerkraut in a crock?
- Shred cabbage and layer it, with salt, into your crock.
- Pack it down to release the brine.
- Add weighted stones and add filtered water if needed.
- Add water to the trough and place the lid on top to create an air lock.
- Wait at least 2 weeks before tasting. However, you can let it continue to ferment for up to 6 weeks.
Can you get botulism from sauerkraut?
It is entirely safe to make sauerkraut at home. Botulism will not grow in it for 3 reasons. Botulism is anaerobic, so it will not grow in an unsealed container while you're fermenting your cabbage. Botulism is sensitive to salinity.