How do I care for an old butcher block?
Likewise, people ask, how do you take care of a butcher block?
HOW TO MAINTAIN BUTCHER BLOCK COUNTERTOPS.
- Remove everything from your countertops.
- Wipe them with a damp cloth.
- Scrape the surface with a dough scraper to remove anything stuck on the surface.
- Scrape light surface stains away with a razor blade.
- Sand deeper stains with 180 then 220 grit sandpaper. (
Regarding this, how often should I oil my butcher block?
When determining how often to oil a block, the general rule of thumb is once a day for a week upon purchase; once a week for a month; and once a month forever. The block should be oiled whenever the wood starts to look dry and chalky.
Pour Hydrogen Peroxide Onto Cutting Board Surface Hydrogen peroxide will safely and effectively disinfect the surface of a wood cutting board. Pour the 3% hydrogen peroxide over the board. Spread it around using a clean sponge. Let it stand for a few minutes.