How big should my return air duct be?
Click to see full answer
Regarding this, should return duct be larger than supply?
Return ducts are always larger than supply trunks. 3. Supply air and return air is always equal because its a closed loop system to the equipment.
Likewise, how do you run a return air duct? How to Install a Return Air Duct
- Locate where you want your return air ducts.
- Go into the basement and locate the holes.
- Install the square return air duct perpendicular to the joists.
- Cut a hole in the bottom of the return duct next to where the furnace is.
- Install your HVAC filter into your filter rack.
In this manner, how do you calculate duct size?
How to Determine Duct Size Per Room
- Look at the plate on your furnace to figure out how many BTUs it produces.
- Multiply that number by the amount of cubic feet of airflow per minute (CFM) your type of furnace produces.
- Divide your number by 10.
- Calculate the size of your ducts vents by multiplying the length by the width.
How do you increase return air flow?
3 Simple Ways to Improve Your Furnace's Airflow for More Comfort
- Unblock and clean your vents. Here's a super easy way to increase air flow.
- Change your filters and clean your return grill. A dirty air filter impedes air movement and makes it hard for your furnace to work efficiently.
- Seal leaky ductwork. Snap on some goggles and a dust mask, it's time to check out your air ducts.