Do I need planning permission to change from a1 to a3?

Asked By: Ashley Liriano | Last Updated: 15th June, 2020
Category: business and finance real estate industry
4.1/5 (382 Views . 42 Votes)
Until recently, planning permission was required for a change of use from A1 (a shop) to A3 (a café). However, as of 15th April 2015, planning permission is no longer required for such developments. These can now be made under permitted development rights (PD rights).

Click to see full answer

People also ask, how do I apply change from a1 to a3?

Planning Permission Premises in shop use (Class A1) are able to change to café use (Class A3) providing that the premises is less than 150m2 and subject to the Prior Approval from the Local Planning Authority.

Also Know, is a coffee shop a1 or a3? Under current planning guidelines, the status of coffee shops is unclear. This has allowed many to open unopposed in former retail premises - classified as A1 use - rather than apply for A3 restaurant use.

One may also ask, does change of use require planning permission?

Changes of use not requiring planning permission Generally, planning permission is not needed when the existing and the proposed uses fall within the same 'use class'. However, if building work is associated with the proposed change of use, planning permission may be required for that work.

What is a1 planning permission?

A1 Shops - Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices, pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes.

38 Related Question Answers Found

What is a1 and a3 license?

A1 or A3 licence - An Explanation. So the shop for Kaffeine is an A1 licence, as are all the s… bucks, costas, prets etc and probably most other independent cafes. Being A1 means you are primarily for the sale of take away food and of course coffee or tea.

What is the difference between a3 and a5 Licence?

A3 use covers restaurants and cafes, A4 use covers pubs and bars and A5 covers take-aways.

What is a1 use class?

Use Class A1 comprises shops including post offices, ticket or travel agencies, shops selling sandwiches or other cold food for consumption off the premises, hairdressers, funeral directors, establishments displaying goods to the general public such as kitchen or double-glazing showrooms, hire shops serving the general

What is d1 use in property?

Put simply, a D1 class property refers to non-residential institutions, which includes any kind of property that may be used for educational, medical or religious purposes. Generally speaking, this type of commercial property class consists of the following: places of worship.

Can you change d1 use to residential?

Unfortunately, this is not always the case as the change of use from D1 to residential or any other use is often restricted. There will also be planning restrictions if your property is a listed building, too close to residential housing, or if you are in a 'designated area' such as: a conservation area.

What is an a3 license?

Premises within Use Class A3 are authorised for “the sale of food or drink for consumption on the premises or of hot food for consumption off the premises” which covers most restaurants and snack bars.

What is a3 consent?

A3 (Restaurants and Cafes) For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises - restaurants, snack bars and cafes. A5 (Hot Food Takeaways) For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises. A1, A2 or A3; Temporary (2 years) to A1, A2, A3 or B1.

What use class is a cafe?

Restaurants, snack bars and cafés that sell food and drink for consumption on the premises fall within use class A3. Whether a food business (such as a Starbucks, Pret, Subway or Nero) falls within class A1 or A3 is determined by its primary use.

Do I need to inform the Council for permitted development?

The Planning Portal's general advice is that you should contact your local planning authority and discuss your proposal before any work begins. They will be able to inform you of any reason why the development may not be permitted and if you need to apply for planning permission for all or part of the work.

Can agricultural land be converted to residential UK?

'Change Of Use' Agricultural Land to Residential
There is also a new class of permitted development called 'Class Q Permitted Development' with a more relaxed view when the change is specifically related to converting existing agricultural buildings into new dwellings.

Do you need planning permission to turn a garage into a room?

Planning permission is not usually required to convert your garage into additional living space for your home, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building. A condition attached to a planning permission may also require that the garage remain as a parking space.

How do I request planning permission?

If you think you need to apply for planning permission, contact your council's local planning office. They'll tell you if you need planning permission.

Asking the planning office for advice
  1. give you an application form.
  2. tell you material to include with your application such as drawings.
  3. confirm planning application fee.

How far can you extend without planning permission UK?

The permitted development rules have recently been relaxed, allowing you to build an extension without planning permission of up to six metres (or eight metres if your house is detached).

Who applies for change of use?

A change of use application can be submitted by the business owner, landlord, consultant or a Qualified Person (QP) via GoBusiness Licensing Portal. How much does it cost? The processing fees for a change of use application is $535 (inclusive of GST).

How do I find out the planning use of a property?

You will need to contact your local planning authority to find the existing planning use class for a particular property. You can find contact details for your local planning authority on the Planning Portal. In addition, you can find more information on Use Classes in our 'Do you need permission?' section.

Is permitted development ending?

In 2013 the government announced that permitted development rules will be relaxed for extensions for a three year trial period, starting from 30 May 2013 and ending on the 30 May 2016. This has since been extended to 30 May 2019.