Can you freeze fresh sprouts without blanching?
Regarding this, how do you freeze sprouts without blanching?
Method 1 of 2: Freezing without Blanching
- Take the Brussels sprouts off the stalk.
- Soak the Brussels sprouts in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts with fresh water and then pat them dry.
- Place the Brussels sprouts in resealable plastic freezer bags.
- Write the date on each bag with permanent marker.
Correspondingly, do you need to blanch sprouts before freezing?
Blanch small sprouts 3 minutes, medium ones 4 minutes, and large ones 5 minutes. Use a steamer basket to shift sprouts easily between boiling and ice water. Avoid overheating the sprouts, which can contribute to post-freeze mushiness. After blanching, move Brussels sprouts into the freezer as rapidly as possible.
The process is really simple:
- Boil for 4 minutes.
- Strain and then immediately give them an ice bath (this is what stops the cooking immediately but allows it to retain their color)
- Pat them dry and allow them to dry completely. They MUST be dry before freezing.
- Once they are dry, freeze away!