Can a 16 year old leave home legally in California?
Hereof, can a 16 year old move out without parents consent in California?
Answer: Typically, a 16 year old is still legally considered a minor and must be cared for by his/her parents. However, minors who want to leave their parents have a way to accomplish that desire in California. Under California law, emancipation is a legal way for children to become adults before they turn eighteen.
Furthermore, what rights does a 16 year old have in California?
When you are 16 you are allowed to:
- Get married or register a civil partnership with consent.
- Drive a moped or invalid carriage.
- You can consent to sexual activity with others aged 16 and over.
- Drink wine/beer with a meal if accompanied by someone over 18.
- Get a National Insurance number.
- Join a trade union.
If you're 16 and over you can leave home without your parents' or carers' consent. You're unlikely to be made to go back home unless you are in danger. It's not usually a good idea to leave home before you're 18. If you're feeling desperate, try to get advice before you pack your bags.