Are dogs allergic to lilies?

Asked By: Salka Crachat | Last Updated: 15th May, 2020
Category: food and drink food allergies
4.8/5 (434 Views . 23 Votes)
Lilies -- While lilies are well-known as a serious danger to cats, certain varieties are highly toxic to dogs as well. The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are all deemed dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA.

Click to see full answer


Simply so, can the smell of lilies harm dogs?

Even small ingestion of these lilies could cause toxic shock in your pet—even a small drink of the water a lily was in or smelling the pollen and then licking their nose (more so with cats and smaller dogs).

One may also ask, can I be allergic to lilies? The Lily, A Yes and No: Lilies are dubbed the worst for allergy sufferers. Alternately, removing the pollen from the bulb or getting pollen-free varieties (listed above), can be easily used for those with history of hay fever and other types of allergies. Allergy-friendly flowers are plentiful.

In respect to this, is it OK to have lilies in the house with a dog?

If you have pets, don't bring lilies into your home. These particular lilies are not fatal to dogs but can cause a serious digestive-upset. Exposure to the Lily of the Valley plant, however, is toxic to cats and dogs (and people) and can cause cardiac arrythmias and death.

What plants can dogs be allergic to?

Common Plants Cause Allergic Reactions in Some Dogs

  • Male juniper shrubs.
  • Acacia shrubs.
  • Mulberry trees.
  • Oak trees.
  • Evening and garden primrose.
  • Daylilies.
  • Oleander.
  • Sago palm.

39 Related Question Answers Found

Are day lilies toxic to dogs?

Lilies in the “true lily” and “daylily” families are very dangerous for cats. The entire lily plant is toxic: the stem, leaves, flowers, pollen, and even the water in a vase. Dogs that eat lilies may have minor stomach upset but they don't develop kidney failure.

Will dogs eat lily of the valley?

Toxicity to pets
However, lily of the valley is still very poisonous and must be treated aggressively! When dogs or cats ingest lily of the valley, severe clinical signs can be seen, including vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures.

What flowers are bad for dogs?

There are many house and garden plants that are poisonous to dogs, here are some of the most common ones:
  • Aconitum.
  • Amaryllis bulbs.
  • Asparagus fern.
  • Azalea.
  • Cyclamen.
  • Daffodil bulbs.
  • Day lilies.
  • Delphiniums.

Are orange lilies toxic to dogs?

Orange Day Lily. Clinical Signs: Vomiting, inappetence, lethargy, kidney failure, and death is possible.

Why are lilies not allowed in hospitals?


Officials in two NHS regions have ordered staff to prevent visitors taking lilies and geraniums on to hospital wards. They claim pollen from the flowers can cause allergies and that vases of water are potentially dangerous.

Is Lily pollen poisonous?

All parts of the lily - including the stem, leaves, petals, stamens and pollen - are poisonous to cats.

Is it OK to touch Lily of the Valley?

Those leaves should never be eaten, raw or cooked. All parts of my favorite spring plant, the lily of the valley, can be poisonous if eaten. There's no problem with touching them, though.

Are peace lily leaves poisonous to dogs?

Toxicity to pets
This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae family. Chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration and irritation the mouth and GI tract.

Which lilies are toxic to dogs?

The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus and the common houseplant, giant Dracaena or palm lily, are all deemed dangerous to dogs by the ASPCA. Ingestion of lilies can cause gastrointestinal upset, depression, anorexia and tremors.

Are Tiger Lilies bad for dogs?


According to the Pet Poison Helpline, “true lilies”, those in the Lilium family, and daylilies, those in the Hemerocallis family, are extremely toxic to cats. Ingestion of either of these types of lilies can cause sudden kidney failure in cats. Examples of common toxic lilies are: Tiger lily (L.

Are agapanthus toxic to dogs?

Agapanthus lilies are probably of minimal toxicity to animals unless eaten in quantity. However, where a dog or cat is prone to chewing on plants, it would be prudent to remove the plant from the animals environment.

Are Easter lilies poisonous to dogs?

The Easter Lily is a popular flower that is often given as a gift or put out as decoration on Easter. But as lovely as it is, it can be quite poisonous to our pets. For dogs, consuming bits of Easter Lily can leave him with stomach upset and digestive issues.

Are dandelions poisonous for dogs?

Dandelion is “generally regarded as safe” by the FDA, and aside from any plant allergies, no toxicity or contraindications have been noted relative to its reasonable use.

Are ferns toxic to dogs?

Toxic Houseplants
Here are nine popular plants that are toxic to pets. Asparagus Ferns - Sapogenin is a toxic steroid found in every variety of Asparagus aethiopicus. Dogs and cats may develop allergic dermatitis if they repeatedly ingest asparagus ferns. Azalea - This rhododendron plant can kill pets.

Are crocus poisonous to dogs?


Spring crocus plants are part of the Iridaceae family. These ingestions can cause general gastrointestinal upset including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea. If you are not sure which Crocus plant your dog or cat ingested, seek veterinary attention immediately or contact Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.

Are mums bad for dogs?

Mums. Any plant in the chrysanthemum family is toxic for your dog. The plants contain many compounds that are particularly irritating and dangerous to dogs. Common symptoms of mum ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and incoordination.

Are daffodils poisonous to dogs?

Daffodils are poisonous to dogs if they eat the bulbs or flowers, or drink water from a vase with daffodils in. Daffodils are poisonous if eaten. Normally they will only experience drooling, being sick and diarrhoea, but heart problems and difficulty breathing are also signs of tulip poisoning.